Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Get to Know Pure Green!



In our last post you read all about our re-launch plans... we're all just so excited!!! We thought it may be fun for you to get to know us all a little bit better while you anticipate the launch of our new issue (May 24), sporting our great new look!  You'll get to know each of our permanent team members and editors, from what is their favourite colour, candy, moment, to what inspires them, and finally, what's caught their eye this Spring. First up is me, CĂ©line MacKay, Editor in Chief and founder of Pure Green Magazine.  

You are...? 
I've lived my 28 years here and there, but mostly in Hunstville, Ontario, in a region otherwise known as Muskoka, surrounded by lakes and nature.  My childhood and surroundings have played a big part in sculpting and fostering my passion for the environment.  I love colour and beauty which has driven me to create Pure Green Magazine, as I knew that there must be others like me who want to be eco but must do it in style!! I live in a small, 1950's bungalow, which my husband and I have painstakingly renovated and made our own, using nearly 100% vintage and upcycled items.  I have a dog, Rusty, who is like my child.  I take him everywhere! And a horse too... her name's Annie.  You may have seen her in Issue 2...

What will you always remember? 
Spending the entire day with my first horse, Rapscallion, Rap for short, basking in the sunshine.  I used to sit on him bareback, letting him graze, while I literally laid down on his back and suntanned. Crazy! I would never do that now... it's kind of dangerous! But I will never forget him.

If you could eat anything... 
It would probably be spaghetti, with my husband's homemade sauce, or maybe samosa's, which I make, or maybe sweet potato pancakes, or maybe mango, or bread, or cheese... can you tell I love food?  Hahaha!!!

Best way to spend a lazy Sunday? 
On the couch, snuggled with my dog, my husband, a great book, a steaming cup of coffee, and absolutely NOTHING else to do!

What does living green mean to you?  
Many things... I try not to define living green too much as I feel that it's really a lifestyle or a state of mind rather than a specific thing.  Having a healthy respect for nature is paramount... every time I take the dog for a walk in the woods near my home I'm in awe. It just fills me with so much love!!  But truly, I think each person needs to find their own definition of living green. That's the only way it will be meaningful to you, as well as easy!  With regards to interiors, I love exploring ways to re-use things.  A good coat of paint and some imagination can go a long way.  It's also important to me to source products that are non-toxic and healthy.

Sources:
1. Responsibly Made Plastic Rug by Pappelina
2. Briar Owl Silver Wallpaper by Abigail Edwards, made using non-toxic, water based ink.
3. Fair Trade Panama Hat by Pachacuti



4 comments:

  1. great article! fun to get to know a bit about you, celine. i've only been to ontario lake country once as a child, but it has always stayed with me. it is simply stunning!
    love your philosophy on living green. there are so many facets to the movement, and i hope people realize how easy it is to incorporate some simple changes into their lives!
    also, that wallpaper is fantastic. thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I know a little more about the Lady behind the idea....
    Funny you didn't mention your favourite vacation destination as being the D.R.?!
    Keep up the good work.
    Sharon Monett

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments everyone! I'm glad you all liked it - I'm excited for you to get to know the rest of the team too! Sharon - while the D.R. was lovely (or at least the beach and the company), I fully plan on dragging @everimages somewhere infinitely more glamorous! Think Paris or Buenos Aires!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails